LET’S START WITH YOU…
Does the following describe you?
- You’re a growing business with annual revenues north of $1M and south of $10M.
- You lack inhouse marketing muscle or a specific marketing skill and it’s holding back your growth
- You sense a huge market opportunity and it’s killing you that potential customers aren’t hearing it
- You suspect an investment in marketing is expected to yield a positive ROI
If you checked off all of the above, then read on, qualified prospect!
The mission of Spitfire! Digital Marketing – besides blunting the advance of the Luftwaffe war machine – is to help passionate entrepreneurs with interesting businesses tell good stories to the right people using the modern tools and tactics of digital marketing.
- passionate people = enthusiastic, ambitious entrepreneurs and owners (primarily based in Vancouver, though not required)
- interesting businesses = you have a product, service or business idea that is different, interesting or important
- good stories = You need help with bringing out the story with good content and strategies
- right people = taking the time to define WHO we’re after and choosing the best channels to reach them at the right time
THE SPITFIRE! APPROACH
1. WHAT IS THE BUSINESS CASE?
I start by exploring with you what the business opportunity is, using a tool called the Business Opportunity Worksheet, popularized by consultative sales guru Mahan Khalsa:
• What are the key issues? What are the priorities?
• What is the problem we’re trying to solve or the big gain we’re trying to achieve?
• What evidence is there that it exists? Can we measure it? How?
• What is the impact of the current pain or gain if achieved?
• What are we trying to increase or decrease?
From there, it should be clear if an investment is a sound business decision – or not.
2. WHAT IS YOUR BUSINESS MODEL?
Great. We’ve made a strong case that investing in digital marketing is going to ease a pain or achieve a gain for your business. The next step is for me to develop a deep understanding of your business. I want to understand your business as good as you do. I love this part and – to be frank – I’m really good at it. My go-to tool is the Business Model Canvas and it’s derivative, the Lean Model Canvas.
3. WHO IS YOUR CUSTOMER?
Armed with a deep understanding of your business, we now turn our attention to figuring out with precision what type of game we’re hunting and which watering holes they hang out at. This involves a customer analysis (describing the target customer(s) and mapping out the customer journey (their experience from a need emerging and to how they discover – and then evaluate – a solutions.
4. WHAT IS THE MARKETING STRATEGY?
The most interesting (and most difficult part): Unearthing that one clear insight that drives your overall marketing strategy. You know it when you find it because it makes a giant DING sound when you hit it. Most companies make the mistake of talking about drill bits, when what their customer really cares about is making a hole in the wall.
5. WHAT ARE THE BEST TACTICS TO START WITH?
We know the business payoff if we invest in solving the pain or achieving the gain. We understand the business mechanics and which needle we’re trying to move. We know who we’re trying to reach, what message will resonate with them and what action we want them to take. Now we use our best judgement to pick tactics, over a given time period, that we hypothesize are most likely to yield the best results.
6. MEASURE, LEARN AND TWEAK
We test our hypothesis in the real world. Are the tactics we choose moving the right needles? Digital marketing give you the ability to record clicks, visits, views, likes and sales and tie it back to a source. Invest in that which works; eliminate that which doesn’t. Rinse and repeat.
7. BUILD YOUR BRAND!
We work together to build your brand over the long-haul, climbing each peak to peak.
Learn more about Spitfire!’s specific services or…